The Institute for Materials Research (IMR) is the gateway to materials-allied research at The Ohio State University.
The Ohio State University Institute for Materials Research is a campus-wide, multidisciplinary institute that works with Ohio State colleges and departments to augment and synergistically advance their goals. IMR facilitates, promotes and coordinates research activities and infrastructure related to the science and engineering of materials throughout The Ohio State University.
The Ohio State University Institute for Materials Research provides vision, coordination and support to advance multi- college excellence and impact in interdisciplinary, materials- allied research and innovation. We are further building on this foundation to evolve the university’s culture and land- grant mission to include a convergent approach to solving the most pressing grand challenges of the 21st century through the translation of research, knowledge and assets.
- Nurture, grow and support excellence in materials-allied research at Ohio State;
- Assist the advancement of research team development;
- Provide strategic planning, resources and infrastructure, as well as educational and outreach activities;
- Connect, create and deliver value for our students, staff, faculty and industry collaborators;
- Enable long-term, mutually beneficial innovation partnerships between industry partners and Ohio State students, faculty and staff.
To realize success for the IMR vision, we have developed six IMR goals, as shown below. These goals are rolling over a four-year cycle with diagnostic assessments every six months to maintain relevancy.
- Create a sustaining innovation ecosystem
- Grow and sustain research preeminence
- Enable internal culture of transdisciplinary research and innovation
- Establish an experiential learning environment for innovation
- Build and expand dynamic linkages with the private and public sectors, from local to global
- Ensure sustainable, state-of- the-art infrastructure, operational effectiveness and efficiency
IMR supports Ohio State's materials community through:
Management of major research facilities
Seed funding and facility access funding
Promotion of industry partnerships
Infrastructure support and development
Development and administration of major research programs and centers
Scientific educational programs and annual conferences