IMR recently hosted a welcome event for the nine new faculty members who have joined The Ohio State University through our Materials and Manufacturing for Sustainability (M&MS) program. The event was informative as well as social – an opportunity for the faculty hires to meet and learn more about their research endeavors.
New faculty hired through the Materials and Manufacturing for Sustainability (M&MS) program attended an informal gathering in the Materials Innovation Lab
With five of the new hires starting in January 2017, this informal gathering, held at our Materials Innovation Lab on Kinnear Road, was the first official event where all of the faculty hires were able to meet one another and discuss their backgrounds and research interests. Steve Ringel, IMR Executive Director and M&MS Faculty Director, offered a brief presentation with an overview of the M&MS initiative, its goals and activities to date, and IMR’s programs and opportunities.
Steve Ringel, IMR Executive Director and M&MS Faculty Director, provides an overview of IMR and M&MS
Presentation slide showing the building of the M&MS faculty cohort with its first nine hires
Each M&MS faculty member then shared a short, one slide presentation introducing their work, followed by additional time to network and discuss opportunities for collaboration.
Professor Jeanie (Chun Ning) Lau, Physics, discusses her research activities
The nine M&MS faculty hires who joined The Ohio State University during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 academic years are:
- Marc Bockrath, Professor, Physics
- Carolin Fink, Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
- Ned Hill, Professor, Public Affairs, City and Regional Planning
- John Horack, Neil Armstrong Chair in Aerospace Policy and Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Glenn College of Public Policy
- Joerg Jinschek, Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
- Jung-Hyun Kim, Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
- Sanjay Krishna, George R. Smith Chair in Engineering and Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Chun Ning (Jeanie) Lau, Professor, Physics
- Farhang Pourboghrat, Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Integrated Systems Engineering
With twelve additional faculty searches currently active, we continue to build the Materials and Manufacturing for Sustainability cohort of people, research and innovation within our Discovery Themes program.
Steve Ringel, Dr. Jay Sayre (Assistant Vice President of M&MS), and M&MS Professor Farhang Pourboghrat
Professor Sanjay Krishna and Jay Sayre
New M&MS Professors Carolin Fink and Joerg Jinschek